Thursday, January 29, 2009

Icy Cold Cabin Fever

It's like those few really warm days last week were a cruel joke... getting us all excited for spring, spending our days at the park and going on bike rides, only to be trapped in our homes the next 5 days due to bitter cold and icy conditions. We're starting to defrost over here, but since our house faces north, you're greeted by this as you walk up to our front door...

icy drive way


If you don't slip and break your neck walking on that, there's still the jagged icicles hanging overhead to watch out for...

icicles


Despite the looks of it, it's actually a pretty nice day out where the sun is shining. Warm enough even for me to venture out to the backyard to get a few photos before the winter wonderland completely melts away...

icy grass


icy branches


icy  tree


I also thought I'd share a few photos of what we've been doing to keep the kiddos busy while we've been cooped up inside...

boys dancing


The boys (cousin Luke included) love to turn on the demo songs on the piano and dance. They have different dances for the different kinds of songs - fast and slow, crazy and quiet... it's pretty funny to watch them get into the music.

One night I got so desperate for something to do, I pulled out an old box of glow bracelets left over from Halloween. The kids were mesmerized...

glow bracelets


Another thing we've been doing while we've been home-bound, although not so fun, is really focusing on potty training. I'm VERY happy to report that just yesterday Ben pooped on the big potty for the first time... WOOHOO! No, I don't have a photo of it to share (I'm sure you're all very disappointed), but here's one that sort of ties in with the potty training theme...

no pjs in bed

We found him dead asleep in nothing but his birthday suit the other night! I figure he decided to get undressed in case he had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Or maybe he just has a new fascination with getting undressed now that he can do it all by himself to go potty. Poor kid was freezing, but at least the bed was dry!

Looking forward to a warm weekend out of the house!